31 Ağustos 2010 Salı

Being Daisy: Chapter 1

I was thrilled to see Nick again. I haven’t seen him since the two short days that rushed by in Chicago, where he spent with us. In the mean time we heard that he was engaged, but I don’t think that he is; he would have let us know if it were true, but I will be sure to ask him. We haven’t spent much time together’ Nick and I, and I wanted to change that. It gave me such joy to hear his car parking at the front door.

Nick was out with Tom, his senior classmate and my husband, when we were sitting with Jordan. I made an attempt to rise when I saw Nick come in to the room. I laughed, being paralyzed with happiness; there was no one in the world that I wanted to see this much, no words came to my mind to express my happiness.

Nick never saw my little girl; oh how much I wanted him to meet her. She’s three years old now, but he has never seen her. I wish that she wasn’t asleep when Nick arrived.

We stood talking at the same spot for a little more time. I introduced Nick to Jordan Baker, a famous and competitive golfer, and I saw the way my dear cousin looked at her. He must have thought that she was beautiful, and she is. I must arrange something between these two. Nick should come over more, after all she is going to spend lots of weekends here this summer, so I can push these two out to the sea in a boat and that sort of things, accidentally of course.

They even have a common friend. Jordan asked him if he knew someone from West Egg. She said Gatsby, I think. Before Nick could answer, dinner was announced.

The dinner went absolutely perfect, just like I imagined; we sat down and had a lovely conversation under the just as lovely sunset. Though saying that it went perfect would be wrong. It ‘’was’’ going perfect, until that woman called. How dare she calls my house, and even interrupts my dinner with my dear cousin, whom we haven’t seen in a very long time. Tom suddenly frowned and left the table, and at that moment I knew it was she who called. I tried to calm the environment by changing the subject, though it was I that I was trying so desperately to calm. I felt ashamed, humiliated at my own house. I couldn’t take it anymore; I went inside. Nick shouldn’t have found out like this; him finding it out this way embarrassed me. I needed some alone time with him.

I told him that he didn’t come to my wedding, we weren’t as close as we should be as cousins when you think. I told him that I was pretty cynical; I might have a dream house, a little daughter, and a perfect husband, but that is just on the outside. I had a bad time so far. I knew Nick understood me, and him desperately changing the subject was his way of saying it and trying to take my mind off it. Everything was so terrible anyhow.

It depressed me, to see him leave. I need to spend more time with my dear, long-lost cousin, and I will from now on.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder