25 Ağustos 2010 Çarşamba

Chapter 1: Reflection

The chapter starts with Nick talking about the advice that his father gave to him in his ‘’younger and more vulnerable years’’, and he has been thinking about it and trying to wrap his mind around it ever since. ‘’Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had’’ said his father.

I found this rather an effective beginning and it caught my interest, making me want to read more. Just like Nick, I tried to understand what his father tried to say, his advice is also ‘’turning over in my mind’’ just like in Nick’s.

After the deep beginning of the book, which is beautiful, but still kind of heavy and hard to understand; I started to understand fully when Nick began to talk about his well-rooted family and their life in the Middle West. Also when Nick decides to be in the bond business, his family’s reaction (‘’All my aunts and uncles talked it over as if they were choosing a prep school for me, and finally said ‘Why- ye-es with very grave, hesitant faces’’ (pg.4)) shows that his family is a very connected and close family. The fact that Nick is a Yale graduate caught my interest too as I spent the summer in Yale University. I wish he talked more about his childhood and family.

When a man asked Nick how to get to West Egg village, and Nick didn’t feel lonely anymore; as if he was a guide, and original settler and felt that, that man conferred him the freedom of the neighborhood- made me laugh. I don’t know why I found it that amusing, maybe it was the fact that he could be happy and feel on top of the world with something so little.

Though I found Gatsby’s mansion beautiful and heavenly, I thought that East Egg was more interesting than the West Egg, when Nick went over to his cousin Daisy and Tom’s house. The description of their house was extraordinarily beautiful, and their house is red and white just like my dream home.

Fitzgerald also portrayed the two women on the couch and the dinner at sunset perfectly and beautifully.

I thought that the most interesting character was Daisy in this chapter, with her bubbly personality and her enthusiasm which gave her a charm that makes her stand out of the crowd. Also the fact that she had a perfect life, a beautiful daughter, and a happy marriage on the outside, but really was getting cheated on and wasn’t happy on the inside showed me that there were two sides to Daisy’s life and character and I wanted to learn more about her. That is why I chose to write my imaginary journal from Daisy’s point of view.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder