31 Ağustos 2010 Salı

Chapter 9: Reflection

The last chapter of the book was rather sad, and more depressing than I expected. After Gatsby’s death, there are lines of police, photographers, and newspaperman in front of the massive mansion. Nick finds himself alone on Gatsby’s side. ‘’I’ll get somebody for you, Gatsby. Don’t worry. Just trust me and I’ll get somebody for you – ‘’ says Nick to Gatsby’s lifeless body.

I thought that this scene was the most tragic, and possibly the saddest scene of the book that touched me the most. I always knew that Gatsby was a lonely man in a colorful crowd, but to see that he had no friends at all was just heartbreaking. All of the people he partied with had no care and interest in him at all, and they were just there for the party and not the man. When even Meyer Wolfsheim, Gatsby’s only friend besides Nick refused to come and said that ‘’he never got involved in these things’’ even if the person was his friend.

Nick calls Daisy half an hour after they found him. The butler says that Daisy and Tom went with luggage and didn’t say when they will come back. I at least expected Daisy to show up for the funeral but she didn’t as well.

I was really surprised that Gatsby’s father showed up. I didn’t expect him to show up, or even learn that their son was dead, since Gatsby obviously denied them. Turns out he didn’t though, he sent his father a picture of the house two years ago, and has been very generous to him. When Henry Gatz arrived at the mansion and got a look around, his pride in his son increased. I thought that this was a touching scene as well.

When only his father, Nick, and the Lutheran Minister arrived for his funeral, I was sad again. Gatsby was a very popular man, but he had no one that cared about him. When the man with the owl-eyed glasses showed up, I was surprised and wanted to know who this man was, but we never learned.

After Gatsby’s death, Nick feels like the East is hunted and decides to move back. He goes over to talk to Jordan before leaving, but she is engaged to another man. I felt sorry for Nick who lost his best friend, and his girlfriend in less than 2 days. Jordan was heartless to Nick and I thought that her tone was unnecessarily harsh.

When Nick saw Tom towards the end of the chapter, I was as furious as Nick was. He was the one that told Wilson it was Gatsby who drove the car, if it weren’t for him, Gatsby would still be alive right now. When Tom said that he got what he deserved when he didn’t stop the car and treated Myrtle like she was some dog. This wasn’t true, of course. It was Daisy that was behind the wheel, and Tom still didn’t know about it. If I were Daisy, I would kill myself from guilt.

I really liked the last paragraph of the book, and how Fitzgerald finished it in a touching way; talking about a man who chased his dream, and reached out to it when he didn’t realize that the dream was already behind him.

‘’And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby’s wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy’s dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night. ‘’

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder